Improve your chances of earning certifications by joining a Study Squad!
Next Study Squad for Security + Starts September 28
Secure your spot by contributing at the “Study Squad” level in our iFundWomen campaign.
Studying for a cybersecurity certification can be daunting.
Between the long list of competencies, and acronyms that seem like a language of their own…
You make a study plan with all the best intentions, but after a few sessions you find yourself drowning and unmotivated.
And then, when your friend asks you out for drinks, a new show on Netflix drops, or a fun event pops up, you seize every opportunity and excuse not to do the work.
Next thing you know your study guide is out of date, and giving up seems like your fate.
(“for now,” you reason)
Hacker in Heels Study Squads can help you break this cycle.
The Security+ Study Squad got me reading, learning, and taking a solid step towards working in information security (cybersecurity). It really helped to have the guidance on breaking up the material into a sustainable schedule with accountability. Thank you for putting this together!
I loved the idea of working towards a cybersecurity certification together with other women, and I’m happy to be part of this community! I wondered if it would be too hard for me, but now that I’ve completed the Study Squad, I’m confident I’ll succeed!
Becoming Certified Pays!
The 2020 Cybersecurity Workforce Study by (ISC)² found that security certifications on average boost salaries by $18,000—from an average of $67,000 to $85,000.
70% of U.S. cybersecurity professionals say their employers require them to have certifications.
Study Squads are weekly learning forums where women pursuing cybersecurity certifications teach each other key concepts. Together we progress through study materials, share resources, and celebrate every step of the ways.
From the CompTIA Website:
CompTIA Security+ is the first security certification a candidate should earn. It establishes the core knowledge required of any cybersecurity role and provides a springboard to intermediate-level cybersecurity jobs. Security+ incorporates best practices in hands-on troubleshooting, ensuring candidates have practical security problem-solving skills required to:
- Assess the security posture of an enterprise environment and recommend and implement appropriate solutions
- Monitor and secure hybrid environments, including cloud, mobile, and IoT
- Operate with an awareness of applicable laws and policies, including principles of governance, risk, and compliance
- Identify, analyze, and respond to security events and incidents
For more information and voucher pricing, visit the Security+ overview page.
Required Study Guide for the Study Squad
CompTIA Security+ Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-601 STudy Guide
by Darril Gibson
Available in print and ebook
$39.99 | Amazon
Details coming soon.
During the live sessions
- Watch presentations by your peers on each week’s study objectives, providing opportunity to discuss and ask questions.
- Teach one of the study objectives to the group during your assigned week, sharing and cementing your own understanding of the study objectives.
- Receive feedback from an experienced cybersecurity practitioner present throughout the experience.
Between the sessions
- Complete the assigned reading and quizzes on your own, with the ability to ask questions of your peers and facilitator in the Study Squad slack channel.
- Receive a daily practice question to consistently grow your mastery of the materials.
- Set personal goals and check-in on your progress along the way, completing weekly reflections to ensure accountability—plus qualify for motivating prizes!
After they’re over
- Confidently sit for the exam knowing you’ve prepared for it consistently and extensively, or continue to study on your own until you’re ready.
- Proudly show off your certification to your Study Squad partners, your employer, and your network!
- Join the Six-Figure Cybersecurity Society for continued accountability and inspiration.
The Security+ Study Squad is a $200 Commitment
Spots are limited. Claim yours by contributing to Hacker in Heels’ iFundWomen crowdfunding campaign at the “Study Squad Registration” reward level.
I wanted the Security+ certification to be more marketable in my job search. I have a hard time studying on my own and needed help where to start. The weekly presentations kept me on top of the readings as it was important to me to be fully present and support the other ladies in the group. The daily quiz questions helped me grasp the material better. I am proud that I didn’t listen to others who said I couldn’t do it.
Security + Study Squad
Week 1 | September 28
Week 2 | October 5
Week 3 | October 12
Week 4 | October 19
Week 5 | October 26
Week 6 | November 2
Week 7 | November 9
Week 8 | November 16
Tuesdays 5P-6:30P PST | 8P-9:30P ET
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the time commitment for Study Squads?
It varies by certification, but generally speaking each live session is 1.5 hours and the time spent studying between sessions is typically 1-2 hours daily. Plan for 10-15 hours per week.
What if I miss one of the live sessions?
Recordings of live sessions will be posted to Kajabi the following day, and available for 30 days after the conclusion of the program.
Does the Study Squads price include an exam voucher?
No. Each certifying authority offers different types of packages and exam vouchers that can include test retakes and additional materials. We want to provide participants the choice to purchase what they believe they need to be successful, so we leave it up to htem to purchase their voucher and register for the exam.
Can I defer enrollment or request a refund if something comes up?
Deferment and/or refunds will not be provided. You are responsible for ensuring your schedule will support this commitment upon enrollment.
Have questions, concerns, or compliments? email@example.com
Certified Forensic Computer Examiner (CFCE)
Insider Threat Program Manager (ITPM)
I started my post-college career as a graphic designer, making $50,000 a year, driving a 14 year old car and renting a room because it was all I could afford in a high cost of living area. I had big ambitions and big plans for my life, but it became apparent very quickly that my career was not in alignment with my dreams.
Fast forward 5 years and a career pivot, I’m now making 4x more money in a highly rewarding field. There’s a TON of opportunity to grow, amazing benefits, and a level of flexibility and balance that enables me to get the most out of life beyond the work.
My own success is why I strongly believe cybersecurity careers are a means to disrupt the inequity of wealth and power in society, and an avenue for unlocking your greatest potential.